That’s me, finally breathing fresh air. I emerge from my month of back-n-forthing my three family members with their various bouts of illness. The family is on the mend. Thank God. I went to a Mama’s Group this morning – without children, as one was in school and one home sick – and experienced my normal social life again briefly. It was really loud and tantrum-y (the kids, not the Mamas). One kid threw a huge toy across the room and nailed another (much smaller) kid. It was like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in there. I guess I had forgotten about the intensity of our group get-togethers, and in retrospect a mellow couple weeks at home wasn’t all a bad thing.
Sweet Jesus, thank You so much that my kids are through suffering. Nels had a little harder time – although an even shorter one – than Sophie. I now know a child in diapers and a child toilet trained are entirely different creatures when it comes to the Pox. Sophie had no troublesome issues in her nether regions but poor Nels’ bum really suffered – fortunately it’s looking better today. The day before yesterday he employed a short-sighted but understandable strategem and avoided pooping. It worked pretty well for a while and got him through the most tender period of time, bum-wise, before he finally delivered one day later. Me boy’s a smart one, he is.
In other news, tomorrow is my birthday. Life has been half fucked-up and so my 29th is not going to be the week long bender / spoiling oneself affair I’d hoped. If you’d like to help, all birthday hoopla can be mailed to:
1324 14th Street
Port Townsend, WA 98368
Alternatively, you can email me a “Hey, sorry I missed your birthday!” [insert farty foghorn noise here] email to:
kelly AT hogaboom DOT org
And here, posted far too late for anyone to do anything about it in a timely fashion, but maybe in time to make you feel guilty if you didn’t get me anything (Billy, that’s you), here is my partial wishlist of desireables:
black licorice, with or without salt. Again, Sarah rocks!
* a new blog design by brummel so I don’t have such a candy-ass’d template.
* Subscription to Ottobre magazine so I can make cute Euro-clothes for my fat, spoiled Aryan children.
Sample pack from Dharma trading co. (77 fabrics). Birlo, keeping it real.
* apron (I prefer a full apron, not a half). I spend half my day wearing one.
* corkboard, preferably large, for my sewing room. Yes, I’m a dork. Yes, it will make me very happy to have one.
* A swiss army knife. Why in the hell does everyone in the world have one but me? Every year my family falls all over itself to buy one for everyone else. I just want a little sexy-ish one I can keep on my keychair or in my pocket. Please, don’t get me one with the USB stick. I find that very funny.
* iTunes gift cert always works for me.
* coffee-related love of any sort (bypass Folgers crystals).
* sexy / slutty bras (38 DD). A gift of this caliber qualifies you for a free flash you can redeem yourself or transfer to another should you feel so inclined.
Speaking of boobies, apparently my husband has been teaching Nels some lovely manners. Five minutes ago – just before The Boy’s nap – I am holding him in arms and he spots my insulated cup, “Coffee?” he inquires (yes, he knows what it is, and he likes it). “No Nels. Maybe after your nap,” I admonish him. He sticks his hand down my v-neck. “Nels, what are you doing?” I ask. “Boobs,” he gruffly intonates.