Sent off to L.A. yesterday – a size 3 “Ripslinger” costume as well as a “Bulldog” hoodie (made to go with an adorable crocheted Bulldog cap the client already possessed). This costume, oh Teh Strugglez. First, my online order for fabrics took an inordinately long time. Then, I made a prototype of the hoodie a while back and it didn’t quite work out right – I’m trying to find a home for it.
But as of yesterday the completed costume finally shipped.
Let’s face it. It’s not nearly as satisfying to get a picture of a flat-laid costume. I don’t have an adorable three year old to grab, at hand (and DAMN MY LIFE FOR THAT), so these quick shots will have to do:
(Shiny shoes courtesy of Nels).
The costume features five pieces: a pair of stovepipe-legged, flat-front sweatpants (made with long hem, so they can “grow” with child), a circular-pocket and stenciled kangaroo hoodie, a lined and be-snapped pilot cap featuring the trademark Planes-esque “eyes”, a nose cone/double-propeller, and set of wings. The clothing is all made from a very soft cotton french terry. The crafted/molded pieces are lightweight and adjustable.
The nose-cone as made by Ralph. He is my papercrafting in-house consultant.
Pilot cap with eyes! I drafted my own hat pattern. It is lined, and very cozy. My goal was for the three clothing pieces to be such that the little client can and will want to wear them as much as possible.
The back of the hoodie – little racing Checks. Again – stenciled then topstitched.
The pant leg – a paint-stenciled and topstitched flame motif, and a knit fabric applique for the “13”. I love this paint-stencil method – it gives a good result with a minimum of equipment. Do I want to be someone who can do full-blown home silkscreening? WHY YES I DO. I am baffled as to how to get started. But, there it is.
The sweats are not my pattern, for a change, but the Parsley Pants pattern by Made By Rae. They have an adorable wide-legged flare and I look forward to making them up with a woven fabric, the pattern’s recommendation.
Here’s “Bulldog” – really just the colors. Another super-fun hoodie to sew up. The pockets are the same size as the above hoodie, but since it is a smaller kiddo, they look larger in comparison.
SEWING NERD ALERT – I switched thread colors so the thread would always match the fabric used. Yes, these are all inside the garments – the “invisible” side. But, I love details like this.
For the armscye, I even switched up the top thread and bobbin thread for the corresponding fabric colors.
*I AM A DORK*