So in honoring my son’s request for a “cowboy shirt”, I became rather obsessed with a version in an old black and white of a roots-rock artist. I decided to clone the shirt in this old photo, and as I wait for the chambray fabrics to arrive I put together an oh-so-wearable muslin in homespun:
The shirt is made with a Vado pattern from Bootstrap. Fit and grading are perfect. As per usual.
I made a few changes – creating an overlay, fashioning my own pockets, and making my own version of the cuff placket. I am impressed with my efforts, truly. Homespun is a lovely, soft, and not-at-all-crisp cotton, so lining up so many stripes (for both fabrics) is a bit of a feat. I also created invisible, perfectly-matched breast pockets, for funsies:
And cuff plackets! Mine are getting darn near perfect. I will forever be grateful to David Coffin for his shirtmaking prowess, and his willingness to help one-on-one. Like the front placket, I use handstitching to secure the facings to the inner workings of the shirt.
One of my favorite details: the collar buttons. I almost always omit these, but I was in the mood this time. Sewn on my grandmother’s 1950 Singer 15-91:
(My grandma and I. She’d be proud:)
I finished the hem with a ban-roll technique. Easy, elegant, and flawless:
And, obv – one satisfied customer!