It’s not a bad time of year to tuck in and do all of those little things. I’ve been sewing a great deal, and have even taken some time to cook. Two Thanksgiving meals right in a row this week!
Beeps is, incredibly, almost done with another quarter at college. Inching towards graduation. Despite being perceived as rather intimidating, they seem to have a pretty solid social life these days. Meaning: I miss them, I don’t get as many cuddles as I used to. I still get them though, and I treasure each one.
I finished up a quilt I started a couple years ago!
And I’ve made a few cozy robes:
On June 15th we will be starting up our summer dress in double-gauze. I have created three versions of this lovely fit-and-flare from Bootstrap. The pattern is $2.99 and comes entirely customized to fit, with or without seam allowances, and in any print format you prefer. I’m a huge fan of Bootstrap and I have extolled their virtues time and time again!
Now, the pattern’s design sketch showcases a mid-to-heavyweight, tweedy fabric:
However as you can see from my samples, I am showcasing in a double gauze. This makes for a casual, comfortable effect. The dress still has very feminine shaping, with a fullness in the hips and narrow waist. However, it performs like a well-loved garment that’s been washed and-re-washed and sun-dried. No wonder I’m having so many requests!
For my daughter, who doesn’t like fussy dresses but complimented me many times on these.
The blue and the deep-red stripe were both from Gray’s General Store. The red organic jersey was bought on sale some time ago.
All three dresses were based on a pattern by Chicken Hill, graded up for Phoenix’s tall, lanky frame. At first I thought I’d offer these to clients, but the waist tie requires a rather personalized placement, so I won’t be doing so at this time.
Today was a big enough deal I made sure to secure a (borrowed) camera: I got my new sewing machine, a Juki HZL-E80. And I popped its cherry right away, whipping up the underskirt for Suse’s dress (both from Ottobre’s 01/1007 issue):
The underskirt took about twenty minutes.
P.S. No pictures in this series indicate how very, very much Nels wants to wear this dress. And dance /sing to Justin Timberlake’s “Summer Love.”
Darn flash makes dress look bright. Dress is actually rather subdued.
Nels’ coat is finished; however the back-zipper just really was a pain in my balls and I did a horrible job (next time; back to a more traditional and less Ottobre-tricky method). I left it with the local Italian seamstress matriarch because I knew if I tried it again, I might not end up with better results. OK, so now that my corset materials have arrived I can get back to it, eh?
Um, not yet, I guess.
Clam in the sand.
Yesterday at the thrift store my daughter spied this dress, a small (size 6?), slim little sleeveless number:
I just loved the aqua-and-olive color scheme, although I wasn’t too inspired by the print. Still, Sophie pointedly said, “Mom, I want you to get this dress and sew it smaller for me.” The little weasel knows I can do this and truthfully, her dresses are looking a little threadbare. OK, OK, one more project and then the corset. Oh yeah, and first, a sewing night with a would-be student. OK, OK.
On a quick and easy project like this I use what I already have; in this case, some of my Coats & Clark thread I’m trying to weed out, as well as some decades-old bias tape for the bodice arm edges (I’m thinking the bias tape is as old as the era the fabric print is trying to emulate).
I love this! The dress had four sets of darts: underarm, french (featured above), and on the back – shoulders, waist. The front of the dress is the wrong side out and I topstitched the darts down. It adds structure and would be a definitely fabulous idea for a plainweave or small-pattern print.
OK. Double straight stitch the bottom, then pink.
My parallel stitching was actually a spiral (that’s why it’s offset) meaning I had four loose threads to gather and invisible-knot. Perfect hem!